Upcoming Events ******************* SUMMER HOURS! The EPCHS will only be open Thursdays 9a - 4p For special appointments call 533-3603 ******************* We are now beginning to make some of our photos available for sale! Visit our Shop page. *******************
October 2nd - Plein Aire Painters Reception and Art Sale. Appetizers, wine and punch served. 6:00pm - 8:00pm Burges House 603 W. Yandell Dr.
October 7th - Board Meeting. 12noon. Lunch 11:30. Burges House
October 26th - Quarterly Meeting This will be in two parts! The business meeting will be at the Burges House at 3:00p. Then we will sponsor a talk by Jason Bruemmer speaking on "How The Horse Shaped Civilization." This will be at Sunland Park Race Track in the Riley Room. Admission $20 per person includes dinner. 5:00pm. Call 573-0048 for reservations!
Our 60th Year Preserving and Promoting El Paso County History!
Like us on facebook!
Burges HouseOur headquarters located at 603 W. Yandell Drive in the Sunset Heights Historic District houses the Jane Burges-Perrenot Research Center and is the home of the Society.
The purpose of the society is to encourage and support research into the history of El Paso and the surrounding area.
Our hours of Operation at Burges House (603 W. Yandell St., El Paso, TX, 79902) are Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9-4 and Fridays from 9-3. Please feel free to call us at 915-533-3603 for more information.
El Paso History Notes - October
1869 - The 24th Infantry, the "Buffalo Soldiers" are stationed at Fort Bliss. 1904 - The commissioner of immigration assigns 75 inspectors to patrol the border to stem the flow of Orientals. It was the beginning of the Border Patrol. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 6th - 1920 - Scenic Drive formally opens. 7th - 1884 - Governor John Ireland visits El Paso. 9th - 1870 - Parson Joseph Tays conducts the first Protestant services in El Paso. His mission would become St. Clements Church. 1959 - Sunland Park Racetrack opens. 1870 - Hugh Stephenson dies at La Mesa, New Mexico. He was buried at Las Cruces. 10th - 1877 - Charles Howard ignites the El Paso Salt War by killing Luis Cardis. 1892 - The Sisters of Loretto open the first parochial school in El Paso. 11th - 1867 - Fort Bliss is moved from Magoffinsville to higher ground, at Concordia. 12th - 1680 - Ysleta and Socorro are established. 14th - 1887 - City Council orders all policemen to wear uniforms. The city furnishes only the badge. 15th - 1865 - Fort Bliss is re-established at Magoffinsville. 1930 - El Paso's first air mail flight arrives. 16th - 1909 - Presidents William Howard Taft and Porfirio Diaz meet in El Paso. 1897- A German First Lutheran Church opens on Myrtle Street. 19th - 1904 - The first auto ordinance is passed. A city license must be displayed, one light up front is required. Speed limit 6mph. 20th - 1916 - Dedication ceremonies are held at Elephant Butte Dam. 21st - 1921 - The cornerstone is laid for the Scottish Rite Cathedral (at it's present location). 29 - 1939 - The 42.5 ft monument of Christ is completed by Urbici Soler on what is now Mt. Cristo Rey. 30th - 1886 - It is reported that there are 775 school children.
Shop Amazon? You can help the EPCHS! Visit smile.amazon.com and 0.5% of your book purchases can be donated to the EP County Historical Society!
The Richard Burges Live Oak has been designated as a Famous Tree of Texas! El Paso's first Live Oak was planted in 1914.